Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Bologna Spread - cousin MaryBeth's recipe

Bologna... the thought of grinding up bologna and turning it into a spread for sandwich or crackers just did not sound appealing... at all.  

My cousin Marybeth would post on Facebook that once again, she was going to make her bologna spread.  Every time I would ask, what do you put in it, how much, how do you eat it? Drawing me in, more and more, to finally breaking down and making it.  

Marybeth grew up in Hibbing, her Mom is my Mom's sister and this was her Mom's recipe. My own Mom has no memory of eating this spread. The history of where it came from would be with my cousin Marybeth. I'm guessing it was her way of stretching sandwich meat to feed her very large family.  It reminds me of making meatloaf to stretch ground beef.  

There is nothing unique about any of the ingredients, the only unique thing is bringing them all together and grinding them up!!  

All of the ingredients!!

Marybeth uses the meat grinder attachment for her Kitchen Aid mixer to grind all of the ingredients.  I do not have that attachment, and used my food processor and pulsed everything to get the same texture.

2 lbs of bologna ready to be pulsed

 
All done pulsing, right texture
 After I pulse processed the bologna, I scraped it into a large mixing bowl. The pickles & peppers got pulsed next and added to the bowl of bologna

Add caption
Mixing the bologna, pickles & peppers together until well combined, I then added the Miracle Whip. 

It was time to taste test the Marybeth's Bologna Spread, how convenient that my sister Mary was over to visit.

Going in!

She loved it!!!

It was telling when the trusted taste tester told us TREMENDOUS!!!


 INGREDIENTS

2 lbs Bologna
16 oz jar Pepperoncini
32 oz jar dill pickles 
1 cup Miracle Whip (aprox)

 INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Using meat grinder either grind or using food processor pulse the bologna to the consistency of ground meat, add this to a large mixing bowl.
  2. Drain both peppers & pickles; using the same process as above to process and then add to the ground bologna bowl.
  3. Mix everything together well
  4. Add the miracle whip, it's added just to bring everything together. You don't want it heavy with miracle whip.
  5. Make your sandwich or use it as a dip with crackers or veggies!



No comments:

Post a Comment