Search This Blog

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Apple and Cheddar Scones

Yah... try and stop at one of these... not possible!
I DON'T BAKE!!! Really I don't! Here's why... because most times I fail miserably.  If you have ever known a baker, a true blue baker, they will always tell you that baking requires precision measurements. That is not a requirement for a person who cooks.  We always go by instinct, a pinch of this, a dab of that, eyeball measurements. I can do that. Even when I do bake and have precision measurements, its about a 50-50 chance that my baked goods will turn out.

I have yet to perfect bread, never ever made a loaf that turned out.  Brownies? Forget about it.  Cookies I can do, but only because I've made them since I was a little girl and I know a few tricks. Too much butter... they are flat, too much flour... they are hard and round. Scary smell? Whoops, I forgot they were in the oven and now I have charcoal to use for grilling!

I see this wonderful scone recipe that sister Gretchen posted on facebook from the Smitten Kitchen blog and read the ingredients.  I have every ingredient, even down to aged sharp white cheddar cheese (that I enjoyed with wine and crackers the day before) and tart apples. It was fate. Yes, the recipe was calling me. The inner baker that has failed so many previous times before was tempted once again to give it a try.


Peel and core the apple
Cut each apple into 16 chunks lay out in single layer for roasting
Roasted apples
Grated Aged Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
So hard not to eat this while shredding
Mix until all ingredients are pulled together
I have learned "DON'T OVER MIX"!!
Cut into 6 triangles
Gotta space these bad boys 2" apart
SAVORY!!!
Darrel just ate one and first said "I thought you couldn't bake!" they were "very very very very good"  his opinion was they were light and fluffy and the flavor of apple and cheddar worked very well together. The cheddar is very light and the apple complimented the cheddar.  It had a nice butter taste in the background.  He said the combo that we had with our wine of the same cheddar cheese used in this recipe and honey crisp apples with crackers were a completely different experience than those same apple/cheese in the scone.  Last night it was more the flavor of the sharp cheddar with the apple chaser, today it was apple that hit the taste buds first with a slight hint of cheddar following. 

I love having Darrel describe my cooking because he enjoys eating soooo much, and he describes every nuance of his experience of food on his tongue.  I've never seen anyone savor food and drink (other than Gretchen's husband Jim) like Darrel.  It's almost mesmerising!

I would say that indeed... I succeeded in my baking today.  I know I can do cookies and scones. 

And now for the recipe:

Apple and Cheddar Scones

Barely tweaked from The Perfect Finish
Makes 6 generous scones

2 firm tart apples (1 pound or 254 grams) - I used Granny Smith
1 1/2 cups (6.75 ounces or 195 grams) all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar plus 1 1/2 tablespoons for sprinkling (total of 2.2 ounces or 63 grams)
1/2 tablespoon (7 grams) baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (3 grams) plus additional for egg wash
6 tablespoons (3 ounces or 85 grams)unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes plus additional for baking sheet if not lining it with parchment
1/2 cup (2.25 ounces or 65 grams) sharp cheddar, shredded (white is recommended, I assume for aesthetics)
1/4 cup (2 ounces) heavy cream
2 large eggs

Position a rack at the center of oven and preheat oven to 375 °F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Peel and core apples, then cut them into one-sixteenths. (I assumed this meant chunks, not slivers.) Placed them in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake them until they take on a little color and feel dry to the touch, about 20 minutes. They will be about half-baked. Let them cool completely. (You can speed this up in the freezer, as I did.) Leave oven on.

Sift or whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Set aside. Place butter in the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, along with cooled apple chunks, cheese, cream and one egg. Sprinkle flour mixture over the top and mix on low speed until the dough just comes together. Do not over mix.

[Don't have a stand or hand mixer? I'd rub the cold butter into the flour mixture with my fingertips or with a pastry blender, hand-chop the apples coarsely and mix the rest together with a wooden spoon until combined. It might feel awkward, but it should all come together. Again, don't over mix it though it will be harder to do this by hand.]

Generously flour your counter top and place the scone dough on top of it. Sprinkle with flour. Use a rolling pin to gently roll (or use your hands to pat) the dough into a 1 1/4-inch thick, 6-inch circle. Cut circle into 6 wedges. Transfer them to a baking sheet that has either been buttered or lined with a fresh sheet of parchment paper. Leave at least 2 inches between each scone.

Beat remaining egg in a small bowl with a pinch of salt. Brush the scones with egg wash and sprinkle them with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake until firm and golden, about 30 minutes. With a spatula, lift them to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Before you eat one, make sure you realize how addictive they might be. Once you’ve got that down, go for it anyway.

Do ahead: Scones are best the day they are baked. However, they can be made ahead of time and stored unbaked in the freezer until you need them. Simply brush them with the egg wash and sprinkle them with sugar, and bake them still frozen for just a couple extra minutes. This way they are always freshly baked when you want them. These scones were passable on day two and terrible on day three.

6 comments:

  1. Delish!! Great post. I love Smitten Kitchen :)
    I had an apple and cheddar and pork belly sandwich for dinner. Now I'm really wishing I had these scones instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex! I would take the apple, cheddar and pork belly sandwich ON the scone!! LOL YOu have to make the scones and tell me how it works out. yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, now I have to try these. I, too, am not a baker. I cook. I totally understand that measuring thing, which I don't do while cooking. Eyeball everything. My friends know not to ask me to bring something baked. I won't do it. The muffins were great but looked bad. I'll try my luck at the scones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. However, I'm blaming the look of the muffins on the altitude.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather you MUST give this one a try. It was sooo good and I've never made scones before and it works. Although, I am NOT altitude challanged!!!

    ReplyDelete